Teething can be a miserable time for both the baby and the parents, and there are a few things that you can do to help your child when they are teething. These tips are shared from a kids dentist in San Diego:
- Have a teething ring or chew toy available for your child to play with, because the chewing can relieve the pain they are experiencing. Certain chew toys are filled with gel, which can be stored in the fridge or freezer, and the cool temperature will help to numb the gums a little bit.
- Sometimes, it might be a good idea to give the child Tylenol or another type of medication. Only use a pain reliever as needed, if the child is very uncomfortable.
- If the child is fussy, wet a washcloth with cool water, and use it to wipe down their gums. The cool washcloth will soothe the inflammation.
- Use the pad of your finger to gently massage their gums, just be careful to avoid hurting them with your fingernail.
- Be sure that you are frequently washing the chew toys, because once the teeth start to emerge the gums could potentially become infected.
After your child has teeth, it is suggested that they start visiting a kids dentist in San Diego. These visits should happen within 6 months from the time that the child’s teeth break through the gums, followed by appointments every 6 months. Call Children’s Dentistry of San Diego to schedule an appointment: (858) 536-1111